PNP Ontario - Chartered Accountant Couple

Aditya97

Oct 19, 2021
Hi,

Me and my wife are Chartered Accountants. Our total point based on CRS calculator are 462. Since we are not sure about the current rules and changing guidelines, we want your opinion on what is the best way to seek PR? Also, we understand that there have not been any FSW draws recently, but what is the outlook of PNP draws recently?

Few of our details : -

1. Both are professional accountants
2. Over 5 years of work experience in finance sector

Thanks!

JassiYYZ

Feb 14, 2021
Best way? Try to get a job offer and then a nomination from Ontario but then Chartered Accountant is a regulated profession in Ontario so without CPA license, a job offer is not possible. At least that's my understanding.

Based on past few draws from Ontario, they have not invited Chartered Accountants. Keep checking the page 2021 Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program updates for the NOC codes they invite in each draw.

Ontario PNP last invited Charted Accountant's NOC 1111 on June 23, 2021. Below NOC codes were invited on that day:

The OINP targeted candidates with a comprehensive ranking system score between 464-467 and work experience in the following NOC codes:

0122 Banking, credit and other investment managers
0124 Advertising, marketing and public relations managers
0125 Other business services managers
0601 Corporate sales managers
1111 Financial auditors and accountants
1112 Financial and investment analysts
1121 Human resources professionals
1122 Professional occupations in business management consulting
3012 Registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses
4163 Business development officers and marketing researchers and consultants

Ontario invites candidates based on their local economic demand and future outlook. Hope you have created your EE profile just in case they decide to invite from the pool.

Other provinces:
Manitoba -> Need a connection
Saskatchewan -> NOC 1111 is on excluded occupation list meaning not eligible to apply under SINP

I would try to increase CRS score and wait in the Express Entry pool to be picked up directly. It's also possible the profile may get picked up by Ontario or Alberta while waiting. See if you can improve IELTS or learn French or add a degree to increase CRS score to above 480.

All the best!

Aditya97

Oct 19, 2021
Best way? Try to get a job offer and then a nomination from Ontario but then Chartered Accountant is a regulated profession in Ontario so without CPA license, a job offer is not possible. At least that's my understanding.

Based on past few draws from Ontario, they have not invited Chartered Accountants. Keep checking the page 2021 Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program updates for the NOC codes they invite in each draw.

Ontario PNP last invited Charted Accountant's NOC 1111 on June 23, 2021. Below NOC codes were invited on that day:

Ontario invites candidates based on their local economic demand and future outlook. Hope you have created your EE profile just in case they decide to invite from the pool.

Other provinces:
Manitoba -> Need a connection
Saskatchewan -> NOC 1111 is on excluded occupation list meaning not eligible to apply under SINP

I would try to increase CRS score and wait in the Express Entry pool to be picked up directly. It's also possible the profile may get picked up by Ontario or Alberta while waiting. See if you can improve IELTS or learn French or add a degree to increase CRS score to above 480.

All the best!
Thanks Jassi for a very detailed response. I would like to add a few more details and understand if this makes some sense :-

1. I understand that currently there were no PNP draws as well as no FSW draws probably due to pandemic. It seems that the focus last year has been majorly on the CEC candidates living and working in Canada. Hence the scores were low. Does this mean that next year looks bullish for FSW candidates ? If so will a 462 score be competitive enough to sit and wait for a nomination?

2. My wife works for a big 4 accounting firm with over 6 years audit experience and I work for a top 10 accounting firm with similar experience (including banking experience). I additionally have a CPA but that is from Australia. Since we work in Caribbean region, i think we may have mobility to move/apply for jobs in Canada. If that works for us, do you think living and working there for atleast a year will have any value in seeking PR through say CEC route or other possible routes?

Thanks again for taking your time to give a valuable feedback. I will wait yo hear more from you.

JassiYYZ

Feb 14, 2021
Thanks Jassi for a very detailed response. I would like to add a few more details and understand if this makes some sense :-

1. I understand that currently there were no PNP draws as well as no FSW draws probably due to pandemic. It seems that the focus last year has been majorly on the CEC candidates living and working in Canada. Hence the scores were low. Does this mean that next year looks bullish for FSW candidates ? If so will a 462 score be competitive enough to sit and wait for a nomination?

2. My wife works for a big 4 accounting firm with over 6 years audit experience and I work for a top 10 accounting firm with similar experience (including banking experience). I additionally have a CPA but that is from Australia. Since we work in Caribbean region, i think we may have mobility to move/apply for jobs in Canada. If that works for us, do you think living and working there for atleast a year will have any value in seeking PR through say CEC route or other possible routes?

Thanks again for taking your time to give a valuable feedback. I will wait yo hear more from you.

Realistically, a score of 462 is no longer competitive. We will come to know the real picture after 2 months of continuous FSW draws. As of now, there are 23,391 candidates above your score:

CRS score rangeNumber of candidates
601-1200693
501-6003,225
491-5001,857
481-4904,796
471-48012,820

So even if we assume 2 FSW draws a month of 5k each, it will take 2.5 months for CRS to come down. This is not considering that more candidates with high score will be added for that period.

On your second point, since both of you are working for top accounting firms, you should explore intra company transfers. I am not sure if you will get to work as a CPA in the Canadian office, but even if you are able to get a position in different accounting NOC, you can probably consider it to gain Canadian experience. Read more here: International Mobility Program: Canadian interests – Significant benefit – Intra-company transferees [R205(a)] (exemption code C12) - Canada.ca

Alternatively, have you considered doing a masters in Canada in your field? Spouse can join on open work permit. Explore that option as well.

All the best!