Worked on different NOC codes

ashl34g

Aug 17, 2021
Hi All, I m looking for some clarity on the use of NOC codes. I am currently working in Canada on a work permit under NOC code 1122 for almost an year. I have 4 years of experience outside Canada, performing different responsibilities which usually falls under NOC 2171 for which I have the experience letter from my foreign employer.

My question is- Can I use both NOC codes to show my overall experience or I can only use just one NOC? If one, then which one would you suggest?

I appreciate if someone with similar issue share their experience?

EveCan

Nov 19, 2020
Hi All, I m looking for some clarity on the use of NOC codes. I am currently working in Canada on a work permit under NOC code 1122 for almost an year. I have 4 years of experience outside Canada, performing different responsibilities which usually falls under NOC 2171 for which I have the experience letter from my foreign employer.

My question is- Can I use both NOC codes to show my overall experience or I can only use just one NOC? If one, then which one would you suggest?

I appreciate if someone with similar issue share their experience?

Depends under which program are you trying to apply.

FSW: There can be only one primary occupation for FSW.

From Eligibility to apply as a Federal Skilled Worker (Express Entry) - Canada.ca,

Your skilled work experience must be
  • in the same type of job (have the same NOC) as the job you want to use for your immigration application (called your primary occupation)

Under Canadian Experience Class, you can combine experience in more than NOC, but that has to be Canadian Experience. Foreign work exp cannot be combined with Canadian exp for Canadian Experience Class.. Eligibility to apply for the Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry) - Canada.ca

Your work experience can be in 1 or more NOC 0, A or B jobs.

You must show that you performed the duties set out in the lead statement of the occupational description in the NOC. This includes all the essential duties and most of the main duties listed.

If your CRS with Canadian Exp is around the current CEC cut-offs, I would stay with CEC.
If your CRS increases to 480 or above using the 4 year foreign exp + Canada experience, I would go with FSW route. Your foreign exp will be your primary occupation and bonus points for Canadian Exp.