Work in Canada after you graduate


New member
Jan 7, 2020
Canada officially grants you a work permit if you have graduated from any eligible course from a designated learning institution (DLI).

Length of the post-graduation work permit depends upon the duration of your course.

Course period:

  • Less than 8 months

    Not eligible for PGWP

[*]More than 8 months but less than 2 years

  • Eligible for PGWP that’s valid for up to the same length as study program
  • For example, if you completed a 9-month program, work permit will be valid for up to 9 months.

[*]2 years or more

  • PGWP with 3 years validity

[*]If you completed more than 1 program

  • You may be able to get a PGWP that combines the length of each program.
  • Each of the programs you completed must be

    PGWP-eligible and
  • at least 8 months in length

IMPORTANT: In order to be eligible for PGWP, you must have completed a PGWP eligible course from a designated learning institution (DLI). Not all courses from DLI are eligible for work permit.

Here is a list of designated learning institutions by province/territory: