Steps for WES ECA evaluation for Canada Immigration purpose.
This article contains important points with a lot of information along with frequently asked questions on how to apply for WES ECA.
Please bookmark this page for future reference.
Before you start just check the following things:
Check Official WES Website: World Education Services Canada: International Credential Evaluation
- Please go through the website and familiarize yourself with the navigation. You will get most of your answers there.
- The site usually opens USA page by default so make sure you navigate to the Canadian page by selecting the drop-down menu shown in the picture below.
- It is important to verify that you are on the Canada WES site before proceeding.
- How to make sure you are on the Canada WES site?
- The domain of WES Canada is wes.org/ca
- The dropdown flag (Top right) show above will display which site you are accessing
Degree equivalency tool: WES Degree Equivalency Tool
- WES has a free tool to check equivalency of your degree to a Canadian degree.
- Do not rely completely on this as the final assessment always depends on the actual evaluation but it will give you an idea and a head start.
- If your degree is not listed there it does not mean it will not be equivalent to anything, you will get to know that in the real assessment.
Step by Step process to apply for WES ECA
- Start by creating a WES account. Click “Apply now” and select “Canada”
- Click on “Start Application” under ECA Application for IRCC and create your account
If you are applying for Agri-food pilot select the third box above
- Once you create the account, you will be taken to your My Account page
Here you can add additional details about yourself and add credentials for evaluation
- Click on “Your Evaluation” and then click “Add Credential” to begin adding the educational credentials details
IMPORTANT POINT TO REMEMBER WHEN ADDING CREDENTIALS:
All information that you enter must match exactly as it appears on your credential (degree/diploma)
Once you have added a credential, your details should look something like this:
Note: You can edit your credential details at this point
- Enter recipient details
Recipient 1 is your address and Recipient 2 is automatically chosen as IRCC for electronic delivery of your ECA report.
Check your details in all pages very carefully and click Next.
- On the next page, you will review the price
Click next to proceed to the next page
- Select shipping options
IMPORTANT: WES has temporarily suspended International Shipping due to COVID-19. Please note that hard copy of the ECA report is not required for Express Entry
- Click next to proceed to document required page. You may need the Academic Records Request form which will help you request your documents from your University. You download the WES Academic Request from this page itself.
- WES Toronto Address where the document must be sent
- Click next to review details and click next for payment page
- Enter your card details to complete the payment to WES
- Click Submit payment!
Once you have paid your evaluation fees, a WES reference number will be generated which will be used in all your communications with WES
Important points to remember about your WES Application
- Once you have paid your evaluation fees, a WES reference number will be generated which will be used in all your communications with WES Quote
- Once you submit your profile and reference number is generated you cannot edit your information so double-check all information carefully and then click submit
- Read all instructions regarding documents and address where the sealed envelope needs to be sent
- Never send any original document to WES unless specifically asked by WES with instructions that they will return it after evaluation
- You can monitor the progress of your evaluation from WES website or the app. The current timeline for completing an evaluation is 35 business days.
- Upon receiving all documents, WES will issue an estimated date of completion. This is usually a very accurate date. You will receive your report usually on the same date or plus/minus one day
- Once your evaluation is marked as completed you will receive an email and a hardcopy will be dispatched to your address simultaneously.
- You can download a pdf copy of your report by logging in your WES My Account. You will also receive a separate email once the hard copy is dispatched. This email will include the DHL tracking number
- You can use the electronic pdf copy for Express Entry. There is no need to wait for a hard copy of your report for Express Entry. Both have the same information.
- The validity of your ECA report is 5 years.
Avoid these mistakes when applying for WES ECA and save money:
- Prepare for delays and plan ECA 6 months ahead of your IELTS. WES is the fastest provider, however; depending on University, there may be delays. Hence, always plan for delays in advance.
- Do proper research.
- If you want to get ECA done for Indian Masters or Postgraduate diploma, WES requires you to send your bachelor’s degree as well without which it will not be able to complete your ECA.
- Exceptions where you do not have to send your bachelor degree:
- M.ED., M.Engg., M.Tech., MPhil.
- Monitor the updates in your WES account. WES sometimes verifies the transcripts they have received with your University and keeps the application on hold till then.
- Indian Universities may not always inform you that a verification request from WES is pending. Hence, monitor your WES account for a status update and call your University if you see that WES has requested verification of your data.
- An important point to note here is that while most universities may do the verification for free, some may charge for it afresh.
- If they do it for free, your application may not get stuck in processing, however; few Universities such as Delhi University charge a fee for verification and will keep the request on hold till you pay the fees. Take note of that and plan accordingly.
- WES will reject envelopes without WES reference number.
Frequently Asked Questions about WES ECA
The official timeline for the WES ECA report is 35 business days. Once you have made the payment in full, this timeline starts after WES receives, reviews, and accepts all required documents.
ECA stands for Educational Credential Assessment which is one of the requirements for creating an Express Entry profile.
World Education Service (WES) is one of the 5 accredited organizations authorized to issue ECA reports for immigration purposes.
You can apply for WES evaluation by creating an account at wes.org/ca and following the instructions. It is very straightforward.
ECA is mandatory for Canada PR. You can choose to get an ECA report from one of the five accredited organizations. WES is one such accredited organization and the most popular one.
Absolutely. To view your report online, sign in to My Account and click “View Electronic Report” under the “Completed” status. You will also receive a hardcopy by mail.
Yes. ECA is mandatory for Canada Immigration if you have studied outside Canada. It is one of the requirements for creating the Express Entry profile.
You can get ECA from any of the 5 ECA providers – WES, ICAS, IQAS, CES, ICES
Sealed transcripts must be sent directly by your University or Institution to WES
All ECA reports for Canada immigration purposes are valid for 5 years.
Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) Report: CAD 220.00
Standard delivery (tracking not included) CAD 10.00
Courier delivery (tracking included)
U.S. and international courier services (per address) CAD 85
Next-day courier delivery (per address, Canada only) CAD 25
Login to wes.org/ca and navigate to “My Account” to check the status of your evaluation. Alternately, install the official WES App from Play store.
WES is the most popular ECA service provider. You should choose a provider that suits your requirements.
WES Canada Postal and Courier Address:
WES Reference No.____________________
World Education Services
Attention: Documentation Center
2 Carlton Street, Suite 1400
Toronto, Ontario M5B 1J3
Telephone: (+1) 800.361.6106 (Canada only)
Online Message: www.wes.org/ca/contact-us/
ECA is required to apply for Express Entry if you want to claim points for your foreign education. You can choose between any of the 5 accredited service providers.
WES is currently the fastest ECA service provider.
Please post it in Canada Immigration Forum